The Silver Whisper

The Silver Whisper
Our home away from home

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nah Trang, Vietnam - March 22nd, and Bangkok, Thailand - March 27th

Andrea has left us and we have heard the WONDERFUL news about the arrival in the Hattler family.  Welcome to Emerson Eloise who photographs beautifully for such a young lady.  Congratulations to her proud papa and momma, especially the latter, who seems to have had to work quite a bit to convince Emerson to arrive.  I understand that they finally went in and got her!

Now Carl and I will relax for a couple of weeks, as befits grandparents of 16, until the anticipated arrival of Hilary and Ricardo in Luxor.
The last few days with Andrea on board saw us in Nah Trang (Vietnam) and arriving in Bangkok.  Andrea and I did the Pedicap ride through Nah Trang which was rather hair raising but uneventful in the end. 


I am posting a picture of Andrea at the start and hopefully one which shows our long line of pedicaps, about 30, which went through any and every red light on the way around the city.  In Bangkok, Carl and I took a tuk-tuk ride (sorry no pictures, I was too terrified to let go) . 



Think of it as a glorified golf cart with a more powerful motor which runs in the middle of city traffic.  On the schedule for later in the voyage is a rickshaw ride.  It will be interesting to see which scares me the most. 

Nah Trang is a very pretty city by a beautiful bay and it has fantastic snorkeling and diving, according to our guide. We were each issued walkie-talkies and he spoke as we were pedaled around.  It is still undiscovered by a Hilton or Sheraton etc. as far as I could see.  It also has the longest cable car (funicular?) system I have ever seen.  It leaves from one side of the river and crosses to a resort, and  goes about two and a half miles. There are around 12 cabins swinging over the river at any one time.   The system stopped as we sailed out in the evening and it was quite a sight to see the lighted cars just stopped in place for about half an hour as we went under the lines.  I would not like to have been in one for that long a time, just stopped.

The day we arrived in Bangkok, we got the email saying that Kirstan was in the hospital and BGH was on her way.  Unfortunately, we could not wait to hear the news that evening as we were taken into town with the rest of the World Cruise group for an overnight at the Shangi-La Hotel.  We had a lovely tea time there, cocktails and a special dinner complete with entertainment.  Of all the places we have been, these local dancers and musicians were the most enjoyable for me.  If the ship’s hotel director forwards me a photo which I can use, I will pass it along.  That night, the batteries in my camera died. We returned to the ship the next day after a huge DIM SUM Chinese lunch at an elegant restaurant and after some pocketbook and watch shopping.  Carl is assured that he has an EXCELLENT GENUINE Rolex copy.  (He was looking for something to wear while he sends his real watch off for its bi-annual checkup.) 

Then I ran around like a nut trying to get someone to explain why I could not get on the Internet so I could find out about the BIG EVENT.  Finally, about three hours later, the internet assistant helped explain (delicately) why I seemed to have no minutes left.  There is ALWAYS some little circle I forget to click on!  But we got the GREAT news and pictures and everything.  The only thing I am still awaiting is an explanation about her middle name.  I am assuming it may be her other grandma’s middle name.
Today, I went on the river tour and to the flower market, one of the temples and the museum of the royal barges.  I’m glad I went and I am sure Carl is equally glad he did not.  There was much getting on and off of the bus and a boat. He is less than fond of that. Pictures are not great , but you get the idea.

1 comment: