The Silver Whisper

The Silver Whisper
Our home away from home

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Day Out of Rio de Janeiro - January 21, 2012

Hello from The Silver Whisper, a day out of Rio de Janeiro.

Yesterday we went off ship for a tour of Salvador de Bahia and I saw things I did not see last time, or maybe I just forgot them.  There were some lovely santos type statues in the middle of a man made lake in the lower part of the city and we saw many of the very lovely residential sections and beaches as well.  Then our small tour of just 8 (an American Express bonus) went up to the old part of the city and I finally recognized something.  Churches predominated but I saw the inside of one which I did not remember and I am sure I would have done so as it is EXTREMELY ornate.  It is gold covered wood, carved floor to ceiling and the ceiling was moirĂ© gold and paintings.  I took pictures, sbut am still awaiting my tutoring on how to pass them along.  We were told that the church is very similar to one we saw in OURO PRETO in the state of Minas Gerais where we toured when visiting Andrea and Brian when they lived in Brasilia.  Or, as I happily remember it, the trip where we got the amethysts. Tonight is a formal night and I plan to wear them!
Carl did not feel too great after walking on cobblestones so much, and I may have continued difficulties in getting him to tour.  But, I plan to do more, although not huge amounts.  We have nothing planned for Rio except I hope to find a church for Sunday.  So far, there have been no religious services of any kind except for a notice that anyone wishing to lead Sabbath services on Friday night is invited to do so.

The seas have calmed and the weather warmed up.  The champagne continues to flow  ( or whatever your choice may be) and we have a very nice cabin butler and maid.  I have already warned them that we will indubitably be messing things up more as our company arrives.  The food is good and portions reasonably sized, but we are still skipping at least one meal a day.  So far, no weight gain!!!!!!!
I was in a very short fashion show the other day.  There is a shop on the ship and while we were killing some time one day and looking around, the young lady in charge asked me to model something from the new things they were bringing on at the next port.  Luckily I found something which was not up to my you know where and felt very comfortable in a three piece skit, blouse and jacket outfit.  It was easy and fun and they were definitely appealing to our senior type passenger list, so I fit right in! Unfortunately it was one of the sea bumpy days and so I was unable to twirl properly and show off the “flirty” skirt.  They were lucky I stayed on two feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment