The Silver Whisper

The Silver Whisper
Our home away from home

Monday, April 16, 2012

Muscat, Oman - April 15th

PIRATES AND SMUGGLERS!!! They have been at the top of the conversational menu for the last couple of days.  We have had an additional briefing by the captain who explained that we will be entering an area  where we are constantly monitored by various patrols and sail in a “guided transit” system of several ships at a time but not a convoy.   So, here we are on the first of our five sea days before reaching Safaga, Egypt, approaching the area of greatest concern regarding pirates. Precautions include: the pool deck is shut down after dark and many interior lights which shine out are dimmed.  All curtained areas have the drapes drawn and even in our cabins we are asked to keep them closed and not turn on our outside veranda light.  No one really seems to be too worried as the pirates are mostly after  commercial vessels and would probably not be interested in a ship with over 600 people to hold hostage, half if whom, as spoiled passengers, would be demanding champagne, canapés and regular dinner service. Also, our vessel is probably too tall for the smaller ships, sent out by the mother ship, to board with their short ladders.  Additionally, the captain says we can probably outrun them.  So, I feel very  protected.

Now, the smugglers are another topic of conversation.  As we were anchored in the Omani port of Khasab,  just before Muscat, I kept seeing all these smaller speed boats passing into shore in groups of two or three, with only two darkly clad men in each.  I assumed this was some kind of security.  Hah!  The captain told me, as we dined with a small group of other World Cruise guests, that they were smugglers from Iran.  They come over with GOATS (why I do not know) and take back the cigarettes and other things which they cannot get in Iran.  We were anchored just past the Strait of Hormuz and this is the shortest distance between Iran and Oman.  So there I was merrily waving to them and happy when several waved back not realizing what I was seeing.  Wasn’t that friendly for smugglers?

Muscat was a place which was decidedly different from our earlier stops in UAE.  Here, tradition and modernity blended well and it was charmingly NOT high rise or filled with gee gaws.  The old town, the official capital, has only about 600 residents, making it the smallest capital in the world in terms of population. 
I am including a picture if one of the forts at the entrance to the harbor,

a couple of a local family

(you can see a bit how the mother and father are dressed) 



photos of what is a large statue of a replica of an incense burner (incense is one of their biggest products),

a photo of the Sultan’s palace entrance,







and one looking down on the old town. (Ed Note:  Not sure I got these placed correctly - please advise!)  We went to the Souk but bought only “genuine fake copy Gucci” dark glasses for Carl.  There were beautiful materials and shawls etc., but I think I have enough souvenirs already.  I did look for a gold bangle for my collection but they would not bargain at all, which was surprising.  So, I got firm and said no thanks.
Our dinner in the officers’ mess was most enjoyable.  The captain hosts about six couples with a meal which is much more elaborate than the officers themselves get, but which is in their own dining room. I did not take my camera, but if Norman, the hotel director, forwards me any of the photos he took, I’ll include one eventually.
We had an Irish flute player entertaining us last night and tonight there is a classical pianist.  It’s hard to stay up until 10:00 PM for these concerts, so we don’t always do so, but I’ll try again tonight.

There will not be much to report in the next few days, unless I get some forwarded pictures to pass along.  Also, the internet connection has been worse than usual, so I think I will send my next report from Egypt
Much love and kisses to all.

ME


No comments:

Post a Comment